Thursday, June 02, 2005

Amazing Grace

I've heard all about grace; justifying grace, prevenient grace, amazing grace, and so on. And I've always been totally blown away by every type of grace. I know that it's only by grace that I'm breathing; it's only by grace that I'm saved; it's only by grace that one day I'm going to be in paradise. I know without a doubt that I'll never be able to fully understand how much grace I receive every single day because I'll never understand the unconditionalness of God's love for me. As hard as I try, my love here is conditional. My love for certain people wavers in response to events and circumstances. I will NEVER be able to comprehend why he loved me enough to send his son to die a brutal death on a tree, knowing that I would sin against him time and time again. That much grace is just not measureable. And even though I'm so amazed by his grace, I tend to become complacent with grace. Even though I don't understand his love, I know it's there. And even though I don't understand his forgiveness, I know that's still there too. I just go on living my life day to day, and I don't even remember to acknowledge the one giving me my every breath. I say that everything I do is for the glory of God and not myself, and I even pray for that before any talk I give or leading worship. But I can't help but question myself. Are people really seeing the face of God when they look into my eyes? Are my actions reflecting Christ? I know without a doubt that the answer to both of those questions is "no" quite often, and that terrifies me. I know it's not possible for me to be perfect, but I don't want to use the fact that I'm human as an excuse for sin. My biggest fear is to be viewed as a hypocrite and turn someone away from God. I've just got to remember (and stress to others) that the Christian life isn't about being perfect...it's about being forgiven.

I've sung "Amazing Grace" more times than I could ever count, but just like I tend to be complacent with actual grace, I also tend to be complacent with the song.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed...

You know, it's amazing just how powerful grace is. The song says, "How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed." Well, I think grace appears much more precious as time goes on. Because as time goes on, I sin more and more...and God's love never falters. My prayer is that I never dismiss his amazing love enough to become complacent with grace. How precious does that grace appear indeed.

1 Comments:

At 7:06 AM , Blogger Nolan said...

Hi, Halley,

Glad you stumbled across my page; that meant that I found yours! Nice post, and really challenging thoughts. Here's my one thought: Christian life is certainly about being forgiven, but it isn't "just" about being forgiven. Forgiveness is a great thing, and something, as you say, we shouldn't forget, but Christian life and spirituality is about following Jesus, about having our lives and minds model his, and about receiving the grace that we can mirror Christ in all things. I've just read a good book on following Jesus that I think you would like. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. You can find a link to it on my blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

His,
Nolan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home