Saturday, June 18, 2005

I Could Sing of Your Love Forever....

I've been hearing stories of what Heaven is going to be like for years and years. You got the streets of gold, saints of old, and all that great stuff. But the main thing Heaven's going to be centered around is worshipping God for all eternity. I'm not going to lie, when I was younger I didn't understand how that could be paradise. I have a pretty small attention span, so the thought of worshipping forever and ever seemed like it would get really monotonous. I was picturing a regular Sunday morning service, and to a kid that can definitely be discouraging when imagining sitting there for all eternity. The first time the true meaning of it hit me at a concert in Atlanta a couple of years ago. The David Crowder Band started things off, followed by Mercyme. Michael W. Smith set things on fire. I remember not thinking about anything but singing those songs. I didn't care what time it was; time pretty much flew by. And before long, they said goodnight and left the stage. I just kind of stood there. It felt like the concert had just started, but it had been about three hours. I was just waiting for all the bands to come back on stage...but they never did. I didn't want it to end! Then it finally hit me. That's Heaven. There won't be any sense of time. I can just worship forever and ever...and this go around, the bands won't leave the stage. Another misconception I had was that Heaven was about me. We think of Heaven as a "reward" for living a Christian life. While this is somewhat true, it's not about us. It's all about God and continuing to bring glory and honor to his name. He's calling us to do that in this life, and He's calling us to do the same all throughout eternity. It wasn't until I truly experienced pure worship that I caught a glimpse of what Heaven might be like. It's just so awesome to "come back to the heart of worship," where it's all about Jesus. Just pure, honest, worship to God. Man, it's so powerful. And the more I experience that intimate heart of worship, the more excited I become about having the privilage of doing it forever...and ever...amen.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM , Blogger Nolan said...

Great thoughts, Halley! Really great. I couldn't agree with you more. I have this idea that if you asked most people in America why they wanted to go to heaven their answer would center on the idea that it beats the alternative (i.e., they really don't want to got to heaven; they just don't want to go to hell). That's unfortunate because people have that sitting on clouds, playing harps image and miss that being in God's presence is the best thing that could ever happen.

Thanks for continuing to help me realize that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home