Saturday, June 02, 2007

REALLY Overdue Update

Well, I made it back safely from Jamaica. It was incredible...detailed post about the trip coming soon.

There's so much that's been going on lately. I'll do my best to summarize the last couple of months to get you up to date.

On April 28th, I attended an event called Displace Me, hosted by Invisible Children. (see a couple posts down for more info) Basically, 67,871 people across the country total were displaced for one night in 15 major cities across the United States to simulate the 1.5 million people displaced in Northern Uganda for the past 10 years. The closest city to Auburn was Atlanta, so two of my friends met at Wesley early that morning and headed that way. However, we did make a pit stop at a hardware store to go dumpster diving for our home. 3,477 people were displaced in Atlanta that night. We spent about an hour filming (as did the other 14 cities) so IC can put together a video to send to the House and Senate. I'll post the video as soon as it's done. We also wrote letters to senators, had the privilege of listening to a speaker named Reverend Vincent from Northern Uganda, and had to ration food- we had one bottle of water and a sleeve of saltine crackers. I didn't sleep at all...I'm not sure if I've ever been so cold and uncomfortable. But it really put things into perspective. Very awesome experience.



For more pictures, click here. Also, you can go to the Invisible Children Displace Me page to get more info or stay updated on the impact it's making.

Let's see...I went to visit Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky about two weeks ago. Nolan and Susanna were gracious enough to let me crash with them for a few days. We definitely had lots of fun jowling and cheeking. I was so honored to finally jowl with the folks who introduced me to it in the first place. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, check out the "Jesus jowled" album to the right. Cheeking picture is below. I'm not sure if I've ever laughed so hard. The campus was absolutely beautiful. I had very high expectations going into the trip. Everyone has told me about how incredible it is, mainly the sense of community. The experience exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I felt so at home. It's the first divinity school I've visited, so I'm keeping my options open. I'll probably visit Candler (Emory), Duke, maybe Vandy. But I could definitely see myself at Asbury.



On the way home from Wilmore, I took a detour in Woodstock, GA and crashed with my former youth directors. They love me so much they even got me to come back the next weekend. (If I'm there, the kids wake ME up at the crack of dawn to play instead of their parents. I know their secret motives.) Nah, I always have a blast going up there. They're the bomb diggity.



For more Asbury pics/other misc. summer fun, go here.

Whew, this post is getting really long. Maybe I should update more often. My bad! Now, onto current endeavors. I've spent the last week at Sumatanga training for this summer. I'll be on elementary staff (4th-6th graders) leading crafts and the afternoon hike. I'm super excited. I'll be heading back up there Tuesday to move in. I think it's really going to be great summer. If you really want to make my day, you can write me a letter! It's the best feeling in the world.

Halley Power
Camp Sumatanga Lodge
3616 Sumatanga Rd
Gallant, AL 35972

Basically, I'll love you forever. I'll try to update periodically, but you know how that goes. Oh yeah, I'll be doing music on the next girls' Chrysalis flight (Central Alabama) so hopefully I'll see some of you there. I won't be able to be there until Friday night, but I'll get to stay until closing since we have the week of the fourth of July off. Glad it worked out that way.

Besides the picture links above, I've also posted a few new albums including Jamaica pics over there ---->
Thanks for reading. Peace out.

1 Comments:

At 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to know you survived Jamaica. I have missed hearing from you. I am thrilled you're doing the music on the Chrysalis. Rebekah will be on it!! She is excited, but I won't tell her you'll be there. I'll let that be a surprise. Can't wait to see you there!! -- I'll be helping in the kitchen -- Anita Thebo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home