Thursday, June 22, 2006

What a blast



Hi, My name is Halley...and I'm a Camp Sumatanga addict. I'm currently trying to get past PCD (post camp depression). I've been going through major withdrawals this week after leaving. Reality just seems so much duller after camp. Things are simple there. I love it! Some of my favorite childhood memories are from camp, and I'm so glad I finally got to be a counselor at one of my favorite places ever. Elementary camp 1 was the bomb diggity! Here are a few highlights from the week...if you weren't there, you probably won't understand most of it. If you're curious, just ask.

1. Tanner and Jack flash animation (I don't think I've ever laughed so hard)
2. Bridget: "Jamie, aren't you a trained counselor?"
Jamie: "What? I wasn't listening."
3. Tanner's special bug spray (aka Windex)
4. Ten feet rule!
5. Trying to teach John to play Mary Had a Little Lamb
6. Tinkerbell, Loretta, Bart, and Fluffy
7. Did he just say homo?
8. Hit the break, hit the break!!! (Jamie and Tanner pulling my car out of the woods)
9. The phrase of the day acronym
10.Pudding, pudding, pudding.
11.Shaving cream and goldfish
12.Is that tea or coke?
13.Agapeeeeee!!!!
14.Squint songs
15."Suddenly a violent storm came up on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped
by waves; but he was asleep."
Some of these random things might make more sense if you look at the pictures from camp. They're over there. ---------------->

Man, what a week. But that's not the end for me. I'm heading back to camp when I get back from Mobile this weekend. I'll be working three of the remaining four weeks of camp. I'm soooo excited! It's such a special place. Sure, you have to rough it. No phone, computer, tv, or modern technological luxuries. Sure, you have to take 2 minute showers and shave your legs in the sink. Sure, it's HOT! But it's well worth it. The kids are such a joy....most of the time. It's such an amazing thought that we have the chance make a difference in their lives. 4th-6th graders aren't the easiest to deal with, but they're at that age where they really need to start making decisions. They're becoming accountable. I'll admit, it's not my favorite age to work with. It's tough. But I do think it's the most impressionable age and I'm honored to be part of it. I'm so excited already! I better start getting packed and all that jazz. Oh yeah, feel free to write me while I'm gone. I'll be there June 25-30th, July 8-14 (the 11th is my birthday :o) ) and July 23-28. I've never gotten a letter at camp, so it would definitely help get me through a long, hot week. Here's the address.
Halley Power
Camp Sumatanga
3616 Sumatanga Road
Gallant, AL 35972
Until I see or talk to you again, God bless!

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM , Blogger Andrew said...

I'm glad you liked the card. What day did it arrive? I was trying to work out what day it'd arrive. I miss Sumatanga and all you guys SO much. Iwish I was back doing more weeks. But theres always next year! Have fun at camp. I'm so jealous!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home