Friday, September 02, 2005

Barefoot Blessing

I tell you what, I was about ready to go move some mountains after Encounter last night. It's always awesome, but what happened was just incredible. After singing a few songs, we watched a slideshow of photographs depicting the damage and suffering caused by Katrina. It was really humbling to realize that so many people were left with absolutely nothing. After the lesson, Matt (leader dude) announced that we were going to take up an offering, which was no surprise. But then, Matt told us about an idea he had. He took one of his shoes off and showed it to us. He explained that he had just gotten those shoes from shoes.com only a week before. He had talked to the leader of a support ministry in Texas and asked what would happen if he sent 1000 pairs of shoes to them. The man's response was, "Brother, they'd be gone in a day." So, Matt proceeded to take the other shoe off and put them in front of the alter. He didn't really even come out and ask anyone else to do anything. "Money, shoes, prayers, whatever you feel lead to give, just give it." So people started filing down the aisles of the sanctuary toward the front of the church. Then they walked back up the aisles...barefoot. I've never been too fond of wearing shoes, but I've never been so happy to be barefoot in my entire life. We ended up collecting $8,200.25 to send to Louisiana just in one night. I couldn't even begin to say how many shoes were up there. Some people even took off their shirts and put them in the stack. About 15 Bibles were also given to send. Here are a few pictures of just a few of the shoes at the alter.
















I bet people riding down the street were thinking some pretty crazy thoughts when they saw hundreds of college students walking around barefoot. But maybe this will show people that this generation has a passion for God and serving others. There are so many people here in Auburn that live life day by day for the sole purpose of "having a good time." I can't count how many people I've overheard just today talking about getting drunk this weekend for the football game. People my age often get a bad rap, which I can understand to an extent. But we're here to show the world that there are so many of us that are willing to pay any price to answer the call. We're fired up and ready to go. We didn't give away the shoes off our feet for self-glorification or bragging rights. I want to share this amazing event with others to show that even the smallest offerings can bring glory to God. I just pray that whoever ends up with my shoes realizes how much God loves them. It's really cool to think that my American Eagle flip flops that I've worn so many times will end up on a stranger's feet. What a blessing! Man, what a blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home